Pumpkin Cookie Base
1. Soak dates in warm water (this helps them blend best).
2. Line a regular muffin tin with 12 liners or line a loaf pan with parchment paper to make bars.
3. Blend gingersnap cookies in a high powered blender until a flour consistency forms. Add in soaked dates, almond flour and pumpkin spice. Blend until a dough forms and press a spoonful into each liner or press all of the dough into the loaf pan firmly.
Pumpkin Cookie Dough Layer
1. Whisk together the nut butter, maple syrup and pumpkin puree in a large bowl. Mix in the spices and almond flour until a dough forms. Fold in the chopped dates and pecans.
2. Evenly press cookie dough on top of the base layer.
1. Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave in 30-second intervals. Stir in between intervals, careful not to burn. It should take about 1 minute.
2. Pour chocolate over the cookie dough layer and place in the freezer for 20 minutes, to firm up.
3. If making bars, use a knife to slice into 8 large bars or 16 squares.
Storage: Keep bars stored in the freezer or fridge in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
*While Medjool dates are high in natural sugars, they are low on the glycemic index thanks to a balanced amount of soluble fiber. The complex carbohydrates found in Medjool dates are digested at a slower rate, making them a source of dietary fiber and releasing energy to the body over a longer period of time.