1. To make the date paste, place all the ingredients into a food processor and process into a paste.
2. Place date paste into a clean bowl and set aside until dough is ready to roll out.
3. Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine flour with the sugar, yeast, cardamon and turmeric by turning the machine on to the low setting.
4. Add all the wet ingredients into the bowl and knead on low speed for 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
5. In a large, oiled bowl, turn out your dough into the bowl, covering the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel to allow the dough to rise in a warm, dry place for at least an hour or until doubled in size.
6. Once doubled, take your dough out and gently push it down with your hand.
7. Allow the date dough to rest for about 15 minutes.
8. Preheat your oven to 180C / 356F .
9. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
10. Divide your dough into eight equal pieces.
11. Divide your date paste into eight equal parts.
12. Roll out each piece of dough on a flat, floured surface, creating a rectangle, about 1 cm thick with each piece.
13. Roll each date piece into a long rope that is equal to the length of your rolled out dough.
14. Place the date rope at the top of your dough, rolling the dough length wise along around the date paste.
15. Pinch the edges of the dough closed. You can give it another little roll along your floured surface to help it seal.
16. Join the two edges of the dough, making a circle. (Double check that your edges are sealed, as they could open when baking.)
17. Using a sharp knife or clean kitchen scissors, cut approximately eight slits around the outer ring of your dough, only going 2/3 through the ring.
18. Brush egg wash over each dough ring using a silicone pastry brush.
19. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
20. Allow the dough to rest for an additional 10 minutes in a warm, dry space.
21. Bake your date bread rings for 10-12 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown.
22. Serve them hot out of the oven or allow to cool on a wire rack and then store in an airtight container for up to a week.
*While Medjool dates are high in natural sugars, they are low on the glycemic index thanks to a balanced amount of soluble fiber. The complex carbohydrates found in Medjool dates are digested at a slower rate, making them a source of dietary fiber and releasing energy to the body over a longer period of time.